Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Romantic Comedies Are The Fucking Worst

Don't ask me why, but I once attempted to watch "The Proposal".  I guess I was blinded by the fact that I'm a Sandra Bullock fan.  I didn't make it through the movie half way when I ejected it, put it back in the Netflix sleeve and sent it on it's way.  Even though it's a notion I'd already thought of in the past, this movie made something dawn on me once and for all: ROMANTIC COMEDIES SUCK!  They are by far the most contrived, formula-tic movies in history.  Nothing separates one from the other except the casting.  Here are the qualities of EVERY rom-com (terrible attempt at clever) I've ever seen.
  • There's a guy.
  • There's a girl.
  • The guy wants to be with the girl. 
  • The girl is turned off to the guy for some reason.
  • The guy eventually makes progress.
  • Some plot device is thrown into the mix out of nowhere that turns the girl back off.
  • We see the movie coming to an end thinking the guy and the girl won't get together.
  • But guess what, they do.
I swear that's the plot of EVERY romantic comedy.  Every once in a while they try and throw a curveball by swapping genders, but it's all the same shit.  It's disgusting, and I refuse to support another rom-com unless it's directed by Judd Apatow.  At least his semi rom-coms (Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) put the humor before the romantic bullshit. Typical rom-coms are the most unfunny pieces of shit in existence.  

No comments: