Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Suck It, Virginia [Snow Rant]


For half of my life, I lived in New York City; arguably the single busiest city on the planet.  And in all of my years there, I've seen schools, businesses comes to a screeching halt maybe once.  Late openings, sure..maybe.  But a complete city shutdown?  Highly unlikely.  Living in Richmond, VA I see the city shut down if we get 3-5 inches.  Hell, I've seen schools close because of a rain storm (flash floods apparently scare everyone shitless).  Being an adult with a job means closings don't really affect me, so I'm forced to deal with the lackadaisical way Virginia handles inclement weather.  You see, main roads and interstates get taken care of with acceptable quickness.  But for those of us who live on side roads, and not main roads (read: all of us), we're FUCKED.  I spent 2 hours digging my car out of my own parking space...only to have to park it back there later in the day.  The next morning, the little bit of snow that was left on the ground froze, and I was unable to drive it off.  My brother's neighborhood hasn't seen a plow or an ounce of salt, therefore the entire street iced over.  At first I thought to myself "maybe it's irrational to expect the city of Richmond to make any extra efforts to help make the smaller neighborhoods more drivable."  Then I remembered New York..hit with snow storm after snow storm, yet managed to continue on, business as usual, as if nothing ever happened.  So it's not impossible.  Virginia is just apparently too clueless to figure how to make it happen, and that pisses me off.

3 comments:

Practice Sessions Radio said...

Man go back to NYC with that! Personally I like it when the city shuts down for snow. Gives me a chance to catch up on all the Maury episodes I have been missing while at work!!!

Unknown said...

Apparently there were cutbacks on everything involving snow, ie VDOT snow plowing and sanding and salting etc. I guess the people running things thought it was never going to snow again??

Striggity said...

lol @ Ali..haha..

Trina...you're probably right, VA acts so surprise when it snows in winter. Wonder if they have the same reaction when the temperature rises in August. Dummies!