Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inception Review [Spoiler Alert]

If you haven't seen "Inception" yet, it would probably be in your best interest to not read this review because I will be touching on the ending.  But more importantly, if you haven't' seen "Inception" yet, please stop reading this and do so now because it is an awesome movie.
 I'm not writing this review to convince anyone to go see the movie.  The hype and marketing behind the movie has been so awesome that people have been flocking to see this film, despite having no clear understanding of it's plot.  All I knew walking into the theater was it had something to do with dreams.  That alone is one reason I was looking forward to this movie.  So many trailers these days give away a lot and leave you with few surprises when you finally get around to watching.  With "Inception", I found myself thoroughly surprised, even taking into consideration the few clips and scenes I'd seen before hand.  The studio was careful with which scenes and which details we were allowed to see and that truly enhanced the overall experience for me.

The story and the world in which the story took place were also a reason for it's high quality.  Yes, it's a sci-fi movie.  Yes, it's not likely to be something that could happen in real life.  But it deals with something that's instantly relate-able: dreaming.  Not time travel, not parallel dimensions, and not aliens.   When watching the movie there were so many plot devices that normal people can look at and think to themselves "hey, this happens to me"; giving an otherwise unrealistic storyline a sense of reality to the viewer.

But all of this cool sci-fi shit would have meant nothing if the movie itself was poorly made, and thankfully that's far from the case.  From the opening scene to the brilliant ending (which will be a topic of debate for weeks to come), I found myself highly entertained and waiting eagerly to see what came next.  Speaking of the ending... [here come the spoilers]

It was written specifically to be open ended.  Since the screen blacks before the top stops spinning, we have no conclusive way of determining whether or not Cobb was dreaming.  But there are a few clues that lead me to personally believe that he was.  The fact that the older Saito mentions keeping good on his arrangement during their exchange in the end, coupled with the similarities between Cobbs reunion with his children and his frequent memories, leads me to believe that the ending is Saito's dream.  Perhaps he constructed the dream for Cobb? Who knows.

Me speaking about a movie 9 hours after seeing it is usually a sign that I enjoyed it.  I get the feeling I'll still be talking about it a few weeks from now because I have this urge to try and get people to understand why I believe my theory to be true.  In an age where studios are whipping together tired remakes and stale action movies, it's refreshing to see a movie of this caliber welcomed with so much fanfare.  Please go see it as soon as possible.

No comments: