Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Post Office Sucks


What you see before you is one of my Netflix shipments.  That's how the post office delivered it to my home.  You can see the envelope is terribly ripped, but that's not even the best part.  The IMPORTANT part of the envelope (you know, the one that has the DVD's) is nowhere to be found.  But the Post Office is efficient in clearing up any confusion.  Here's what the back of that little plastic slip cover says:


We care! Dear Postal Customer:  We sincerely regret the damage to your mail during handling by the Postal Service.  We hope this incident did not inconvenience you (LOL).  We realize that your mail is important to you and that you have every right to expect it to be delivered in good condition.  Although every effort is made to prevent damage to your mail, occasionally this will occur because of the great volume handled and the rapid processing methods which must be employed to assure the most expeditious distribution possible.

Translation: Your shits fucked.  Our bad, lulz.

Thankfully, it's just a Netflix movie, and all I had to do was go onto the website and click "report problem".  I had a new one two days later.  I've actually had the good copy sitting on my desk for over a week now.  Yes, it took the post office over a week to deliver a worthless, shredded Netflix envelope with no DVD in it.

But what if this were a more serious, important piece of mail?  What if I were waiting on my income tax check to be mailed from the IRS?  It wouldn't be much use to me ripped in half.  Do you think I could convince the IRS to re-print and re-mail another check?  Probably not.  And who's to say some postal worker didn't just rip me off altogether?  He's probably at home right now enjoying Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on MY DIME!  I know instances like this are few and far between, but once is far too many as far as I'm concerned.  And the thoughtless cop out of an excuse apology on the back of this plastic slip cover leaves an even worse taste in my mouth.  I'd almost respect them more if they would've just stuck the half ripped Netflix envelope under the front door and called it a day.  I already strongly dislike the Post Office (I'd much rather ship through UPS and pay more), and this just added to my intolerance.

No comments: