Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Obsessed" Is A Terrible Movie


Get used to seeing me "review" movies all late and after the fact.  I typically do all my movie watching through Netflix, unless it's a movie that I'm just completely, 100% itching to see right then and there.  But anyways, I loaded up "Obsessed" after remembering the initial trailer having such promise.  Since it's been out forever, I've heard people saying it's a pretty sub par movie.  I like to find out things for myself but now I want my 1.5 hours back.  Here's why this movie sucks.


  1. You literally know everything from the trailer.  EVERYTHING.  In the commercial, you see Ali Later's character getting a job with Idris Elba's character, she starts seducing him, he turns her down, Beyonce get's pissed and eventually, the two females fight in the climatic finale.  In the actual movie (spoiler alert), Ali Larter's character get's a job with Idris Elba's, she starts seducing him, he turns her down, Beyonce get's pissed and eventually, the two females fight in the climatic finale.  The only difference is in the actual movie, they have to find bullshit to fill in the other 1 hour and 34 minutes you don't see in the commercial.  
  2. Beyonce is not a good enough actress to warrant her acting in a movie where she is to be taken seriously as an actress.  I think she's a good artist and all, but she's not at all convincing on the movie screen.  I would even go so far as to say if anyone other than Beyonce played her role, the movie might have even sucked 15-20% less because of it.  Half the time she prances about in her high dollar fashion as if she still thinks she's in a music video.  In fact, the opening scene shows her moving into her new house in some stilletos (wtf) and the final scene she's fighting Ali Larter in the attic wearing some knee high heel boots. OK BEYONCE. 
  3. Ali Larter is a pretty good actress but the dumb writing/script left her no room to do a good job.  So she mindless becomes infatuated with Idris Elba.  For seemingly no reason.  There's no chemistry or unspoken sexual tension.  It's just outta nowhere.  Then she drones on the entire movie seeming like the annoying kind of crazy, rather than the disturbed kind of crazy.  You're supposed to hate the villian because they're evil, not because they're fucking irritating.  
This movie unknowingly showcases an increasing problem in Hollywood: handing out film roles to high profile celebrities who can't act.  I fail to believe that Beyonce truly went into an audition room and beat out other actresses to get this job.  I'm not saying that Beyonce can never do a movie.  That Dreamgirls/Cadillac Records stuff is right down her alley I guess.  But the thriller/drama/action movie genre needs people with real acting skills.  Not just people who look sexy as fuck in a black dress going to a dinner w/ Idris Elba.  Or a tan dress in the background meeting Idris Elba's coworkers.

1 comment:

AYungNigga said...

yea the movie was pretty corny but one of my favorite parts was when beyonce kicked him out the house.he said.."where am i supposed to go sharon??"and she replied "TO HELL,BUT UNTIL THEN I SUGGEST THE FOUR SEASONS".POW!!!